ResourcePath used its expertise in molecular diagnostics and public health to develop a highly sensitive SARS-CoV-2 viral test to detect active viral infection. This test is performed in our high complexity CLIA-licensed, College of American Pathologists accredited laboratory in Sterling, VA.
Test Name: SARS-COV-2 RT-PCR Viral Detection
- Saliva in Zymo Shield Media
- Nasal or Oral swabs in Zymo Shield Media
- Nasal or Oral swabs in Oragene Oracollect Media
- Nasopharyngeal swabs in Zymo Shield or viral transport media (Less preferred)
Turn around Time: 48-72 hours from receipt of specimen, provider will be notified of positive case results. Five days for a written final report.
Hours of Operation: Monday- Friday: 9am-5pm | Saturday: 9am-1pm
We offer individual sample collection by appointment only Monday through Friday.
Please contact us to coordinate bulk sample kit pickup and collection.
phone: (571) 375-0755
Frequently asked questions:
1. Is your test validated? How do we know you are qualified to do this test?
Our laboratory is licensed by CLIA for high complexity testing and accredited by the College of American Pathologists (CAP) for Molecular Diagnostic testing. Our laboratory personnel have many years of experience in clinical test development and validation. The ResourcePath COVID-19 test has been validated for use on nasopharyngeal swabs, nasal swabs and saliva based on CLIA and College of American Pathologists (CAP) requirements. The FDA permits laboratories certified by CLIA as high complexity to launch COVID testing while their EUA application is under review. We will update this site when FDA-Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) is complete. Our CLIA license # is 49D2118808. Our CAP Laboratory number is 9498234.
2. I see you use saliva. Is saliva as good as nasopharyngeal swabs for detection of SARS-Cov-2 virus?
A study by Rutgers University showed that in 60 paired samples of saliva and nasopharyngeal swabs taken from individuals with SARS-CoV-2 infection, RT-PCR showed perfect correlation between saliva and swab samples. The Rutgers assay was approved by the FDA under Emergency Use Authorization. The New York State Department of Health Laboratories has also approved saliva, collected under observation, as an acceptable source for testing.
3. What are the advantages of using the ResourcePath saliva collection kits?
- Ease of collection, these samples can be self-collected.
- Does not use supplies that are limited in availability, kits are available now and in the future.
- Does not require a health care provider to obtain the specimen, although it is preferred that the specimen collection is observed.
- The liquid preservation media we use to mix with saliva after the sample is collected inactivates the virus and preserves the RNA during transport. The tube containing the saliva in media is labeled with the patient name, date of birth and date of collection and then placed inside a small biohazard specimen transport bag. No refrigeration is required. We do recommend handling the tubes and the biohazard bag with gloves.
4. How many tests can ResourcePath perform in a day?
Currently our throughput is ~200 samples per day.
5. What is your turnaround time?
We have a 48-72 hour turnaround time expectation for verbal results with written reports complete in 5 days.
6. How do I receive patient reports?
We automatically call physicians with every positive COVID result. We also have a web-based, secure laboratory information system to produce and archive reports. Each report is faxed immediately upon completion to the ordering physician. In addition, we provide each ordering physician with password protected access to the archive containing all of his/her patient reports for retrieval at any time. We would be happy to set up access to our secure portal. Please email us at email@example.com and we will help you get started.
7. How can I order a test?
Contact us to request a copy of our test requisition. The requisition can be filled out on the computer and returned to us by secure fax or uploading onto our secure file-sharing portal. The requisition can also be printed and filled out and then faxed to us. Our fax number is: 571-526-5591. COMING SOON! Online ordering of COVID-19 testing.
8. Do you accept Medicare, Medicaid and Private Insurers payments?
We currently accept Medicare and Virginia Medicaid. We are not able to bill private insurance at this time but can provide documentation for patients to request reimbursement themselves. We also can perform testing for patients without insurance through the HRSA Covid Uninsured Program.
9. I am a physician at an assisted living facility. Can I order testing for all of my patients and staff?
Yes. We would be happy to support universal testing of your facility. If you have more than 500 individuals you would like to test, please let us know as soon as you can so we can assist with testing logistics for your group. We will ensure that we have an appropriate amount of specimen collection kits and staffing to ensure you can receive your results rapidly.
10. Who can I call to get more information?
The best way to contact us is through email: firstname.lastname@example.org and someone from our team will get back to you within 4 hours. You may also call (571) 375-0755.